Three skirts

I have less than two weeks left with my little sewing machine before I leave the country! I’m studying at Anyang University in South Korea this semester and then interning for six weeks in Chile (You can keep up with me on my travel blog ConniyaGoes). That means I won’t be able to sew. However, I’ve made several things over winter break that I have yet to take pictures of, so here’s the first batch!

Double Knit houndstooth circle skirt handmade by Conniya

This is a full circle skirt using a double knit hounds tooth print from Denver Fabrics. I was pretty disappointed in quality when I first received my order from them. However, I am liking it a lot more now that it’s in skirt form. This was my first time sewing double knit, which is a really stable fabric with just a little stretch. The waist is slight gathered by the 2″ elastic, and there are no seams. I didn’t hem it since the fabric was so stable at the bottom.

Pink circle skirt handmade by Conniya.

Another full circle skirt using a pink linen also from Denver Fabrics. It was not at all what I was expecting when I ordered it online. It is actually quite stretchy, and a pretty low quality. I decided to go ahead and make it into a circle skirt since trying to return it wasn’t going to be worth the effort. It has an interfaced waistband and lapped zipper in center back. To finish the hem, I attached a light pink single fold bias tape and hand stitched it to the underside. It wouldn’t usually be this wrinkly, but I was afraid my brother would change his mind about taking pictures if I took the time to iron it first hahaha.

Skirt handmade by Conniya. (Peplum skirt_Salme Patterns)Finally, a fitted skirt from the same double knit as the circle skirt. I used my peplum skirt pattern without the peplum (Salme Patterns). I really love this one! I think it’s really flattering and the slight stretch of the double knit makes it comfy. I used an invisible zipper in the back, and finished the hem by turning it under once and top stitching with a slight zigzag so it could stretch. The seam between waistband and skirt could sit a lot better, but it’s hard to use an iron on this fabric due to the way it’s printed.

 

Have a great day and don’t forget to follow me at www.conniyagoes.wordpress.com!

Advertisements

The Sonja Dress

The first half of the semester is over! It still feels like the first few weeks of school because I am constantly trying to get my act organized. I’ll be super busy writing papers and studying until December, but hopefully I can share my small backlog of completed projects.

This is the Sonja dress, a free Salme pattern which you can download here at BurdaStyle. It was released February 2012 (before I started sewing) and I just happened to come across a photo (on Pinterest I think?) that led me to the pattern. I love this dress! It’s pretty simple, fitted at the waist, and has a full, feminine skirt.

It’s a bit wrinkled in the photos because I just pulled it out of my suitcase after returning from Fall Break. I was so excited about my mannequin my boyfriend got for me I just had to take pictures! 🙂 The mannequin’s measurements are almost exactly the same as mine, but her shoulders are super wide. I don’t have a big living space, so I am still getting used to walking by her in the mornings without jumping out of my skin hahaha.

Sonja dress handmade by Conniya. Salme patterns.I did have to make several adjustments to the bodice. The original pattern was made for a really long torso. I slashed my pattern halfway between the neckline and bust about 2-3 inches and smoothed out the armhole curve. I also had to take in the sides quite a bit above the waist. I added about 2 more inches to the skirt than what was called for.

Sonja dress handmade by Conniya. Close view. Salme Patterns.The straps have a racerback look to them. I think I want to make them wider next time, because I’m definitely making another one of these dresses when i have the time.

The fabric is a vintage home fabric I got for cheap in Berea. The pattern calls for facings, which I don’t like. The next version I make will be with a thinner fabric, and I plan to fully line the bodice. This one is unlined, and the neckline is finished with single fold bias tape. Since this was mainly a test version, I went the lazy route on the armholes, folding them once and sewing around.